St. Mark's CME Church

St. Mark's CME Church

St. Mark Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1949 as a branch of the First Christian Church. It was founded by Pearl Washington, Mattie Reynolds and Annie Mims, with services initially held in the Washington home. The following year, the congregation purchased property at 3995 W. 12th Ave. and services were held in a house that sat on the lot. In the early 1960s, the congregation constructed a church building at the corner of West 12th and Sam Reynolds St.


From St. Mark’s Historical Documents:

“On July 11, 1949, a meeting was held at the home of Pearlie and Leo Washington to discuss the formation of a new church in Eugene. Others present at the initial meeting, in addition to the Washingtons, were presiding Elder Sears of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, Mattie Reynolds, Annie Mims, John Haynes, Tina Morris, Dorothy Mae Thompson, Bonnie Ray and Mary Lee Taylor. The result of that meeting was the formation of St. Mark Colored Methodist Episcopal Church.


The first minister called to St. Mark was Reverend J.T. Taylor, who during his tenure from September 1949 to September 1950, spearheaded construction of the parsonage and sanctuary which stand today as the original site on the corner of West 12th Avenue and Sam R Street (named for Reverend Sam Reynolds, longtime member of St. Mark).”

Read More

Before moving on, select the button below to be guided through some exercises.